Last year, Kyle was tested for SAGE (the gifted program) in our district. Unfortunately or fortunately, he didn't qualify and we were fine with the results. Then his teacher this year, begged and pleaded for us to sign off on the appeal process and after much discussion, we decided we would attempt the testing again, but this would be the last time. Because of who his friends are, I was really turning to God quite a bit throughout the process because they are all in the program. Well, needless to say, Kyle qualified and has been attending for 7 weeks. He loves it and he loves going with all 5 of his friends!
As a teacher, I was skeptical of the program, but I am HIGHLY impressed as a parent. I've never been worried about Kyle academically, it's the social aspect I've been more concerned with. Part of the curriculum is working with gifted children to help them successfully communicate with all kids, regardless of their IQ. I have seen a huge change in Kyle and his ability to communicate. I think Kyle is sometimes seen as a "know-it-all", coupled with being sensitive, and being misinterpreted, but with the communication skills he's learning in SAGE, he's able to work through some of those feelings and our evenings are going much better. Sometimes it's hard being the only boy and surrounded by girls who don't understand his intentions.
And the overall BONUS of SAGE-in the high school SAGE classes-they will help him find a college based on our family needs/wants and help him apply for scholarships! Maybe one child will have their college completely paid for?!?! One can hope........
In the meantime, I'm proud of you Buddy! Keep up the good work!

No comments:
Post a Comment