In June when our contracts were released, I received the bad news of not getting a raise. When I looked at the salary schedule, I had "bottomed out" and a raise wouldn't be in my future. So, I frantically began the admission process to Arkansas State University. (Teachers, these are the emails your receive multiple times a day) In all honesty, this program is cheaper than my undergrad AND Masters!
My sister and I decided to enroll together and take the same classes. Because we are part-time, we decided to hit the ground running and become full-time students. Anyone who knows me, knows that I get overwhelmed, want to run away and those feelings hit me again when I started classes. That moment of, "what did I get myself into", hit me hard. Needless to say, once I got into my routine, I was able to keep up and actually was ahead of the game most of the 7 weeks.
Now, remember when I said I'm taking classes with my sister? Well, I can honestly say, my parents never compared us or instilled competitiveness between us. We ARE competitive when it comes to sports, but not between our bond as sisters. That changed (for just a minute) in one class this term. In a nutshell, we had the same classes, but different academic assistants. In one of our courses, we were graded like we are English majors. Do you remember me saying I haven't been in school in 12 years? I HAD no clue how to format my papers in APA. Worry not, I'm learning..... Anyway, we had a pretty large field project to complete and she killed me on the assignment. She received an A, and poor me, received a B-! A B-, yes, you read that right. While I was wallowing in my sorrow, my own mother told me to have a drink and go on with life! John then comforted me and told me that I'm just trying to earn a pay raise, and he's right!
So, as the weeks went by, another field project was due for our other class. I'm here to report, I beat my sister by ONE point! I nailed it with 100%.
At the end of this 7 weeks, I'm happy to report that Nerned and I passed both classes with A's!!! We are getting ready to embark on another 7 weeks and a raise will be earned in February for both of us.
Congratulations Nerned!! Cheers to the next 7 weeks-we can do this!! (I feel the need to format this).
P.S. Are any of you wondering what degree we are earning? Sit down-we are earning our Administration degrees-yes, Stephanie is earning her Administration degree-I know, I'm shocked too! :)
To my children, I hope you know how important an education is and no one will ever take your education and knowledge away (Grandpa Sevedge). Daddy and I will support you in whatever path you take-always reach for the stars, anything is possible.
I have no desire to format your blogpost. I will however comment on the content (novel idea). I'm glad we're taking these classes together and I'm also proud of both of us for earning our As! However, I wouldn't have cared if I got a B either. I'm with John and Mom on this one! 6 down, a few more to go!
ReplyDelete